From a press release distributed by education advocacy group Memphis Lift:
Dozens of parents and community members will attend the Shelby County Board of Commissioners meeting on Monday, Aug. 24. Several participants are expected to provide public testimony in support of a resolution to halt public funding of a lawsuit challenging the state and local intervention into Memphis-Shelby County Schools.
Parents are coming with a clear message: Memphis students cannot afford more delays, and public resources should be focused on teachers, classrooms and improving academic outcomes — not a prolonged legal battle.
Parents are also expected to remind commissioners that the body previously issued a vote of no confidence in the elected MSCS School Board and will call on commissioners to stand by that message by refusing to spend additional public dollars defending the status quo.
“Memphis parents are tired of watching adults spend time and taxpayer money fighting while our children are still waiting for better schools,” said Sarah Carpenter, Executive Director of The Memphis Lift. “The Commission has already said it has no confidence in the current School Board. Now it has an opportunity to stand with parents, stop funding this lawsuit and let the real work begin. Our children need action, not another delay.”

MORE EDUCATION NEWS
Will Tennessee’s Big Budget Surplus Benefit Schools?
Tennesseans for School Segregation Backs Blackburn, Seeks Expanded Influence